KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
37 High Street Broadford, Victoria 3658
Phone: (03) 5784 1433
27 Scriveners Road, Kalimna West, Victoria 3909, Australia
PO Box 1699 Bairnsdale, Victoria 3875, Australia
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
Ph: 02 6059 0207
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Hume
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Mansfield Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently at Council buildings
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Has an Aboriginal engagement/consultation policy – included in Diversity Policy
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated the use of Aboriginal language to name sites
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Engages with Local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Networks
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council strategic documents