KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Ph: (03) 5832 0222
YYNAC offices are located in Shepparton, Echuca and Barmah. See here for more details.
Mungabareena Aboriginal Cooperative -Wodonga
Ph: (02) 6024 7599
Address: 21 Hovell Street Wodonga Vic 3690
PO Box 1535 Wodonga Victoria 3689
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Hume
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Indigo Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently
- Flies the Torres Strait Islander flag on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal Networks
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Involves Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in programs
- Is involved in local Aboriginal tourism