KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
142 Firebrace Street, Horsham VIC 3400
Ph: 03 5381 0977
Ph: (03) 5381 6333
Wurega Aboriginal Corporation
21 Edward St, Horsham VIC 3400
Ph: 0458 672 176
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Grampians
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Horsham Rural City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently in Council Chambers and above the Town Hall
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific programs
- Runs Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific youth programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses
- Is involved in local Aboriginal tourism