KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
Ph: (03) 5150 0700
37-53 Dalmahoy Street Bairnsdale Vic 3875
347A The Esplanade, Lakes Entrance 3909
Ph: (03) 5155 1051
Fax: (03) 5155 1278
Rules Road, Toorloo Arm
Vic 3909, Australia.
Tel: 03 5156 5475
Rules Road, Toorloo Arm 3909
Ph: 5155 8500
Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Co-operative
37 – 53 Dalmahoy Street
Tel: (03) 5152 1891
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Gippsland
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
East Gippsland Shire reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies both the Aboriginal and the Torres Strait Island flags permanently in the Council Chambers and above the Town Hall
- Uses local Aboriginal language to name places and projects
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with the Local Indigenous Network
- Engages with the local Reconciliation Group
- Includes specific Aboriginal policy statements in the Council Plan
- Supports Aboriginal arts and culture by: Displaying artworks in Council premises and holding exhibitions
- Has a documented local Aboriginal history
- Has facilitated naming of local sites in recognition of Aboriginal people
- Has Aboriginal specific library programs
- Supports local Aboriginal economic development
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses