KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
142 Firebrace St, Horsham, Vic 3400
Phone: (03) 5381 0977
4/48 Edgar Street, Heywood VIC 3304
Ph: 03 5527 1427
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Grampians
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
The West Wimmera Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag on special occasions
- Displays artworks in Council premises
- Displaying artworks in public places
- Supports local artists or performers
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Includes Aboriginal content in whole of community events
- Organises NAIDOC activities and Reconciliation Week activities
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Is involved in local Aboriginal tourism