KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
70 Nyah Road Swan Hill
Ph: (03) 5032 8600
Lot 2, Latje Road, Robinvale 3549
Ph: 5026 3353
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Loddon Mallee
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
The Swan Hill Rural City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently at all Council sites
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Employs a full time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Has an Aboriginal Employment Strategy
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has An Aboriginal Action Plan
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Involves Aboriginal young people in programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Promotes Aboriginal businesses
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
- Engages with Local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Networks