KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Level 1, Providence Building, Abbotsford Convent
1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford
Ph: (03) 9416 2905
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Northern Metro Inner East
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Monash City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies both flags permanently in Council Chambers and above the Town Hall.
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has an Aboriginal Action Plan
- Aboriginal Action / Inclusion Plan or similar
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
ABORIGINAL LIASON CONTACT
Multicultural Community Dev Officer
Phone: (03) 9518 3241
National Relay Service: 1800 555 660