KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
27 Scriveners Road (Forestec) Kalimna West VIC 3909
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
15 -17 Collins Street cnr Buckley Street, Morwell Vic 3840
Ph: (03) 5136 5100
162 Commercial Road, Morwell Vic 3840
99 Buckley Street, Morwell Vic 3840
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Gippsland
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Latrobe City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies both flags permanently in Morwell, Moe, Traralgon and Churchill
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee, the Braiakaulung Advisory Committee
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Employs a part time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Library has Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific programs
- Has Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-specific HACC services
- Involves Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in programs
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses