KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Phone: 03 9581 4809
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Southern Metro
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Kingston City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently and on special occasions in Council Chambers
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Networks
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has an Aboriginal engagement/consultation policy
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Supports local Aboriginal economic development
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses