KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
South Melbourne Town Hall
208-220 Bank St, South Melbourne, VIC 3205
Phone: 03 9682 9578
Local Aboriginal Network (LAN) Broker | Southern Metro
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Glen Eira City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal Networks
- Includes First Peoples specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has First Peoples specific programs
- First Peoples-specific HACC services
- Works with local agencies to support First Peoples young people
- Supports local Indigenous economic development
- Procures goods and services from First Peoples businesses
- Art work, speaking engagements
- Is involved in local First Peoples tourism
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated the use of Aboriginal language to name sites
Cnr Glen Eira & Hawthorn Roads
CAULFIELD SOUTH 3162
PO Box 42, CAULFIELD SOUTH 3162
Tel: 03 9524 3333
Fax: 03 9523 0339
ABORIGINAL LIAISON CONTACT
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Civic and Cultural Officer
P: 9525 3262