KEY ABORIGINAL ORGANISATIONS
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit First Peoples - State Relations' interactive map and search the Local Government Area name (e.g. LGA: Ballarat) or a street address. You can also refer to First Peoples - State Relations' Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
PO Box 4128
FRANKSTON HEIGHTS VIC 3199
Phone: 0499 222 331
(includes Aboriginal organisations)
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
KEY DOCUMENTS / LINKS
Bass Coast Shire Council is a member of the Inter Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee
Bass Coast Shire Council is proud to sponsor the Biyadin Festival
Bass Coast Shire Council Policy of Acknowledgement
Bass Coast Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently in Council Chambers and at all Council sites
- Flies the Torres Strait Islander flag permanently at Council buildings
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with local Aboriginal Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Provides Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific funding
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Holds exhibitions, festivals, markets or concerts
- Holds NAIDOC activities
- Nominates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for non-Council awards
- Includes Aboriginal content in whole of community events
- Library has Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific programs
- Council seeks input from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander service providers in relation to interpretive material (eg Wonthaggi Centennial Centre), historical / heritage information and art and cultural activities.